Through the Woods - Emily Carroll

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

4.5 stars

Through the Woods called to me when I was browsing through the Graphic Novel section of the library. I had never read anything by Carroll before and or ever heard of her, really. I couldn’t stop myself from picking it up because the artwork was spectacular. It was drop dead gorgeous and there was no way I was leaving the library without this beauty in my tote.

Through the Woods is a collection of five short stories, each an eerie story of what can happen when one ventures on a dark journey. Each story is dark, twisted, and scarier than the next. They are also all very thought-provoking. I wound up reviewing each story in my head and thinking, “what in the hell did I just read?” and yet it was such an enthralling experience for me.

Our Neighbor’s House follows three sisters who were are left to tend the house while their father went hunting. They are left explicit instructions on what to do if he doesn’t return. Our Neighbor’s House is the tale of what happened when the sisters didn’t listen to their father’s demands. This is the story that hooked me and drew my undivided attention. The ending flew over my head a bit, but I really didn’t mind because I was so shocked – and terrified – by what I just read.

A Lady’s Hands are Cold is the story of a newly wed young lady who discovers her handsome knight might not be the prince she thought he was, after all. She travels to her new home and every night she hears a spooky, sad song ring the empty halls and we are taken on a spooky, dark journey when she finally finds the source of the song. The tale was lyrically written but simple to understand and boy was it a shocker! I read it to my mom and even she agreed that it was twisted. I loved the gothic vibe it had, too.

His Face All Red follows the adventure of a man and his brother journey into a dark forest in search of a monster that attacks their village. I was surprised by a certain biblical theme it followed, but it was no less spooky. It is a lesson in what happens when you let jealousy get the best of you.

My Friend Janna was a ghostly tale and one of my favorites. It is also a “the boy cried wolf” type tale that speaks of the horrors that can creep up on you when you are pretending to be something you are not.

The Nesting Place had to be my least favorite. Not because it wasn’t riveting, but because it was icky and reminds me way too much of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. *shudder*

I fell head over heels for the artwork that Emily Carroll displayed in Through the Woods. It was a dark and twisted collection, but it was amazingly beautiful. I am 100% sure I will be seeing these stories again… in my nightmares. I was surprised by how each story had a moral behind them. Carroll brought a unique blend of horror and fable to Through the Woods that I never expected. This was without a doubt one of the most unusual, euphoric reads I have read this year! One of the things I love about this book is that it can be re-read over and over and I could still find something new in each story. If I could afford it, I would purchase a copy to re-read over and over again.