The Darkest Passion - Gena Showalter

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

The Darkest Passion is the fifth book in the Lords of the Underworld series and has been one of the hardest ones for me to me to re-read. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy the book – I always enjoy the book – my frustration with Aeron lessen my enjoyment.

You know what pissed me off the most? Aeron should be my all-time favorite Lord. He’s covered in an alpha hero, has lickable tattoos, and he’d do anything to protect the ones he loves the most. It’s his loyalty that is truly his downfall in The Darkest Passion. He is so oblivious to his “adoptive daughter’s” (aka the demon he helped escape from Hell) manipulative, selfish personality that he almost loses the most selfless and loving person in his life. It really bugs me when people are so obviously in love (even when it’s not a romantic kind of love) they make excuses for them. Sigh.

While I could not stand Aeron in this book, Olivia was so cute. I usually hate the helpless-female type heroines, but as the novel went one I was shown just how not helpless this woman was and was it awesome to see! While it frustrated me to see her treated like garbage over and over, she is the type of character that is hard not to fall for.

“One day, someone’s going to fascinate you, draw and ensnare you, and you’ll crave her with every cell in your body. I hope she drives you insane. I hope, for a little while at least, she denies you, leading you on a merry chase. Perhaps then you’ll understand a glimmer of my pain.”

It wasn’t only Olivia that made The Darkest Passion worth it, but the other cast of characters (not including Aeron) made the book entertaining as well! Paris, for one. I wanted to smother him in kisses and prove that everything was going to be okay. He’s had it rough here lately. And of course, the other Lord’s women we are fun as always! I love the dynamic that Showalter gave this close-knit group of warriors.