Feed - Mira Grant

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

This review is a long time coming as I finished the book two months ago. FEED is one of those books that was so good, I had a hard time reviewing it. For months, I have had read countless reviews of bloggers urging readers to pick this book up ASAP! Finally I did and now it’s my time to urge zombie fans and political thriller enthusiasts to pick this book up!

get to know the world of FEED

It’s 2012 and Earth is suddenly and effectively exposed to a mutated virus that quickly infected millions and changed the world over night. So what do you do when the people who are supposed to be dead get back up and start coming at you with hungry (infected) chompers? The smart people take what they learn from the popular zombie movies of George Romero and they kill them before they get to them.

20 years later and people have learned how to fight back and not get dead. Humanity gained back its numbers and slowly took back (most) of their countries and humanity gained back control from the undead forces. Well, for the most part… they have earned to co-exist with the threat of infection and so life goes one. And with humanity politics is never far off.

Can I once again express my gratitude for zombie fiction where zombie culture not only exists but is utilized to protect the remaining population? It saves me from unnecessary eye-rolling and the plot from predictable reactions I can always do without when it comes to zombie fiction.

It was also awesome to see blogging so important to the plot and not as just a hobby or a creative outlet. Don’t see that a lot in media, so it was a pleasant surprise. :) The plot and world building were spot on, by the end of the world building left no questions unanswered. It’s obvious the author did a thorough job researching everything from politics to medical science and created thoroughly believable world.
a little more on FEED and blogging

After the population got their shit together, they realized traditional news can not be trusted (there’s a shocker). Every one knows where there is a pandemic, there’s at least 10 government agencies trying to cover it up. So when the panic settled, and people have mostly rebuilt their numbers, they’ve learned to take what traditional media says with a grain of salt and have turned to sources they knew they could trust: bloggers just like them, reporting what they learn from experience. Bloggers have since divided into three major groups:

Irwins: These bloggers face danger head-on by interacting with zombies and spreading the word on new ways to kill zombies or how the zombies are adapting. These guys are the adrenaline junkies of the FEED world.

Newsies:These are blogging reporters that deal in facts and keep everyone updated on whats going on in the world. Sometimes this job brings them into dangerous situations, but they aren’t drawn to it like the Irwins.

Fictionals: The writers of the FEED universe, they entertain people with stories.

my thoughts on character development</center

The plot wasn’t the only thing Grant does well, she’s also mastered the art of character development. Shaun, Georgia, and their techie best friend, Buffy, are the main characters of FEED. Each main character is a blogger with their own ranks, titles, and blogs. Shaun is the Irwin of the group. His sister and closest friend, George is a well-respected Newsie and her voice is the book’s main point of view. They share a close bond that would be seen as unhealthily co-dependent in our world, but is just a sign on of the times in FEED. Both Shaun and George are the characters’ I connected with the most.

Buffy rounds out the trio with her technical skills and her Fictional blog, but to be honest I never liked her all that much. She never seemed as loyal to the group as the siblings were, and I soon learned why in the most shocking way. *hint hint*

After the three best friends are chosen by Senator Ryman to cover his presidential campaign, they combine their individual skills into one new site devoted to their new political journey. The experience quickly turns dangerous and I watched (in anticipation) every character go through obvious character growth that helped to nail home exactly what role they played and why.

Superb narration helped make this audiobook a 2015 favorite

I couldn’t possibly write an audiobook review without mentioning the narration! Paula Christenson was the main narrator for FEED; she narrated the entire story with Jesse Bernstein narrating the last few chapters. I believe he also did a couple supporting voices and clips from Shaun’s blog in between important chapters. I have a feeling Bernstein will have a bigger role in book 2, and will have more of an opinion then. :)

Christenson did a great job of holding my interest. I could clearly distinguish every male and female character, which had to take a lot of hard work with such a large cast of returning characters. The male characters’ were handled very well and contrasted nicely. I never had an issue with the way their voices were portrayed, like I have with a few other audiobooks I’ve read that were also single narration. I couldn’t have enjoyed FEED as much as I did without the awesome narration, and will be looking out for more books narrated by Paula Christenson in the future. :)

I loved FEED and you will, too! (I hope)

This book was a five-star read for me, so clearly I enjoyed myself. If you are looking for more blood and gore than political thriller, this may not be the zombie book for you, but there was enough zombie action for this zombie enthusiast. :) I will warn you it isn’t a “zombie survival” story, so don’t expect it to be one and you won’t be disappointed. It was a nice addition to the story and shouldn’t be missed! I quickly purchased the second audiobook in the series and cannot wait to continue the trilogy!