The Thirteenth Step: Zombie Recovery - Michele W. Miller
This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger
This post contains affiliate links. This audiobook was sent to me free for review in exchange for an honest review.

As many of you know may know, I have a big thing for zombies - they're my kryptonite. Whenever I see a zombie book up for review, I almost always snap it up, even if I think the book is going cheesy. I will admit that I never saw myself actually devouring The Thirteenth StepZombie Recovery, I just thought the plot was quirky enough that I had to give it a whirl. I figured I'd have a few laughs and move on to the next big thing. That is why I am so surprised to report I can't wait to listen to what Miller has next for me! As soon as I type up this review I will be begging to review more from this author.

I'm not going to lie, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this book nearly as much if it weren't an audiobook. Some books are just born to be preformed, and Zombie Recovery is one of them. The narrator, Gabrielle De Cuir, was dealt a diverse cast of character's to play and I enjoyed her performance of every once of them. I could easily distinguish each character she portrayed and thought she really gave each character a unique personality, which has to be hard for such a large group of cultures and age groups. I will be watching out for more audiobooks narrated by De Cuir.

In, The Thirteen Step: Zombie Recovery, the zombie apocalypse pretty much happened within 24 hours. One person catches the virus, bites another and within a matter of minutes a world-wide pandemic unfolds. This happens all around the world. Is it this version of the zombie virus all that plausible? Nah, not really. If a virus is going to wipe out the entire population of 6 billion + people, it's gonna take a lot longer. Still, I enjoyed that this author took a popular troupe and gave it an amusing twist: the alcoholic gene.

In this world, addicts and alcoholics aren't nearly as tempting to zombies - nor are their offspring that are pre-predispose to addiction.  This doesn't mean that alcoholics don't get eaten in Zombie Recovery, just that this genetic anomaly made the survivors less tempting to the rotting bastards. Don't be disappointed - this gene doesn't mean there wasn't any kick-ass zombie killing to enjoy - there was plenty and it was gory!

I usually don't go for books where a pandemic spreads in such a small timeframe, but it added something more for this particular plot. The character's were forced to infer the ins and outs of the zombie virus because of what they experienced around them. There was no mysterious government or scientists to push facts at them, they had to learn how to survive based on experience and general knowledge of pop culture zombie "facts."

Since finishing this book late last week, I have already re-listened to it and have realized that all eight of the main characters showed growth since their first appearance in the beginning of the book. There was at least one trait about each character that I didn't particularly connect with, but by the end of the book they had matured into someone else. I found this to be one of the best things about this story. It's unrealistic to expect a character to stay exactly the same when they've one through something like the end of the world. experience changes a person's personality and outlook on life - whether it be positively or negatively, the apocalypse will change you from who you were to who you have become.

If you love gore, or apocalypse-themed survival books, give The Thirteenth Step: Zombie Recovery a try. It will surprise you in ways you won't expect and you may enjoy it just as much as I did! I hope Miller continues to write more zombie books, I can't wait to see what else she has in store for me.