The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye - Tony Moore, Robert Kirkman
Dear Zombie Readers,

If you are reading this review, I’m assuming you aren't living under a rock (if you are living under a rock, can you please explain how you are receiving internet service? Might come in handy for the zombie apocalypse :D), and have watched or at least heard of The Walking Dead TV drama. If you have watched the show and have a hankering to read The Walking Dead comics there are a few things you should keep in mind . . .

1. The comics came first, so don’t get angry when you realize the curtains don’t match the drapes, so to speak.

As far as I can tell, none of the important events from the television show unfold accurately. Which is a bummer, because some of the events they changed were much more awesome in the comic. Except that . . .

1. Daryl doesn't exist.

*sob* this makes me so sad, because while I couldn’t ever finish the series (too much drama, too little of the campy horror humor that I love so much), I did love me some Daryl. On the plus side, his asshat brother doesn’t exist, either. You win some, you lose some.

1. Zombies exist in the Walking Dead comics!

Unlike in the show and every other zombie apocalypse novel/movie I’ve ever read/watched, Kirkman isn’t afraid of the “z” word. . . I just wish the same goes for the show, because it’s a tad aggravating when the z word is the elephant in the room. Like zombie flicks aren’t weird enough that you have an enormous elephant into the room but to NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE IT!!!

It's rather rude.

Poor elephant just want’s some attention.

1. You may cry when the horsie dies.

Remember that horse that somehow survives not being fed or "walker" bait while Rick was comatose to come to Rick's rescue when he can't find fuel? It was so freaking sad. And gruesome. Which I completely enjoy in horror . . . when it's happening to people. Animals, not so much.

One awesome thing about this comic is how much attention Moore paid to every little exquisite detail. He is obviously an amazing artist, however, if you can’t handle gore, don’t read this novel. Because when it comes to all the gory details (yeah, I went there), he obviously spent some extra time on.

Which makes me question why Kirkman spends the introduction discounting The Walking Dead as horror, but that’s not important, so let’s move on.

1. If you thought The Walking Dead show was sad, you haven’t seen nothin’ yet.

I can’t explain why, but it is just so much sadder to read about the hopefulness and faith the characters’ have that the government will someday save them all with a cure and the zombies will just one day shake off the infection and return to their homes without a scratch.

I wish I had that kind of faith in our government. Heck, I’d probably blame the government before I put my faith in them to save the day.

❥ ❥ ❥

If I had to pick between The Walking Dead television show and The Walking Dead comics, I’ll probably always pick the comic. I learned more about the characters from one comic than I ever did in three seasons. I finally had answers about Rick, Lori, and Carl that were never answered. Hell, I finally got the full story on Jim, who didn’t even make it to the CDC! I also enjoyed not having as much drama, but that is sure to change in later volumes. *crosses fingers that it doesn't* I didn’t even hate the loaded cliffhanger at the end, because it was freaking awesome! *hint*

Are you intrigued yet? I hope so! If anything, read the comics if you're curious to see how they hold up to the show. If you don't watch the show, but you're a fan of horror and zombies, pick up a copy of The Walking Dead Vol.1: Days Gone Bye and see how you like it!

Zombie crazed and loving it,

One Evil Curvy Blogger

Have you watched The Walking Dead yet?
This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger