The Raven Boys  - Maggie Stiefvater
Dear Readers,

In my years as a bookworm, I’ve read many young adult novels. The young adult genre was my bread and butter for many years, until I found the adult romance section in the library. So, you should know, when I say that I’ve never run across a writer like Maggie Stiefvater that I’m speaking plainly. Even though The Raven Cycle didn’t have as much action as I thought it would, it became a novel I obsessed over fairly quickly. The writing is mysterious and gothic, and incredibly riveting. I woke up the morning of determined to get things done and before I knew it, I spent the day in bed, starting and finishing this novel . . . I pretty much read it all in one sitting. Nothing was more important than figuring out what was going to happen to my new favorite characters.

The Raven Cycle is the first book in the Dream Cycle series. It became obvious that its purpose was merely to introduce characters and conflict, world build, and to give us a little background on the Raven boys and their dynamic, and to introduce Maggie into the relationship. I enjoyed the fact that not much happens within the first half of the book. It made it easier to familiarize myself with the cast, and not having to use context clues to learn their personalities. With such a large amount of characters, it really worked for this story. This strategy would not work with a less talented author, because not many understand how to trap a reader’s attention without a busy plot.

Not only did Stiefvater figure out to keep my attention, every chapter of gained me a new question. While The Raven Cycle didn’t have much going on in the way of action until most of the book was finished, Stiefvater leans heavily on the development of important characters (not just the main characters, either!), and in doing so, deepening the intrigue. I can’t wait to see how Dream Thieves plays out - if my friends are right, the series only gets better!

Thank you to all the fans of The Raven Cycle series who forced encouraged me to read this! Everybody else who is dragging at the heels to pick up this book, I dare you to buy, steal, or borrow a copy now!*

Have you read Maggie Stiefvater? How was your experience? Let me know!

~ One Curvy Blogger

P.S. Just found out The Raven Boys is only $1.99 if you buy the ebook! I believe this is for a limited time, so go up to the top of the page, click "Buy On Amazon" and buy yourself a super cheap copy NOW!

*theft is only okay if the book is owned by an annoying sibling whom won't share his or her books. Otherwise, buy your own copy, you thief! >_>

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger...