More Than Words - Lilly Avalon
This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger
More Than Words turned out to be one of those short stories that drew me because of the theme, rather than the real writing. I’m not sure why, but I’m a huge fan of romance novels featuring writers, so I tend to greedily grab them up and beat myself up afterward or (jump for joy, depending on how it went. Duh). Unfortunately, this book really did nothing for me, besides put me in a reading funk. It’s a short story of 49 pages, and yet I couldn’t finish it. That tells you how much I enjoyed it.

Dana, a clean romance novelist, has written for Gravity Lit for over three years. Her boss tossed an assignment in her lap that she is not ready for – she must write a 40-50k erotic romance story in two weeks. How can she possibly write a story filled with hot sex, when her own experience has never been very pleasant?

The premise of More Than Words is right up my alley, so it caught me off guard when I realized there was zero connection for me. I didn’t particularly become attached to the characters, and I could honestly care less what happens to them. . . How am I supposed to finish a book when I don’t have any interest in it?

The first problem I had, which could account for the zero connect between the characters and I, was the stilted writing. It might have to do with the lack of complex sentences, but to be completely honest, I haven’t looked into the reason for the disconnect. I just wanted to be done with the book, and move on to something that will wow. Unfortunately for me, More Than Words did the complete opposite, so I decided to move on to better books, instead of wasting my time reading something I get no pleasure from. If anybody else read this, and had a better experience, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to hear your opinion of the book. :]

❤ - I may have received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

❤❤ - Check out One Curvy Blogger for reviews, giveaways, interviews, and more!

❤❤❤ - Now accepting review requests, author interviews, and guest blogs.