Big Bad Beast - Shelly Laurenston

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

Big Bad Beast is one of those books in the Pride series that I knew I would read, but I didn’t know if I would like. I already had a bit of a hate-on for Dee-Ann after the stunts she pulled in Beast Behaving Badly but I didn’t know how my irritation with Dee-Ann would balance out for my intense love of Ric. I didn’t realize how much I would love the book – or how much I would come to understand Dee-Ann as a character.

And I never expected for Dee-Ann to have such a sexy side. Seriously it was a shocker!

He froze, his body overwhelmed by the woman he was in. The woman he loved. And she had no idea. To her this was fun times with a good buddy, but to Ric this meant everything. And to find out being inside her was even better than he’d dreamed…

“What’s wrong?” Dee asked. “Why’d ya stop?”

“I’m trying for some Zen-like control here, Dee-Ann. You’re not helping.”

“Fuck control, darlin’,” She brushed her forehead against his chin. “Fuck rules and supervisors and what’s right and what’s wrong. Fuck it all.” She pressed her lips against a little spot right under his ear. “But right now, with that big cock of yours takin’ up all that room inside my pussy, it’s time for you to fuck me.”

The she bit him. Not hard enough to break skin, not enough to mark him. But enough.

I never could see what Ric saw in her until I read Big Bad Beast. Dee-Ann is a Smith She-wolf and the feared daughter of Eggie Smith, the wolf with dead yellow eyes and a long kill list. And everyone knows just how similar Dee-Ann is to her dad. After she retires from the Marines she is asked to join The Group, a shifter run agency that will do everything possible to keep the shifter species safe and thriving.

I pretty much thought she would wind up getting him killed…or seriously maimed.

“You really think you’re cute, don’t you?”

He tried to tell her yes, he did think he was quite cute. Adorable, even! But she was gripping his throat in such a way as to ensure maximum loss of breathing, swallowing, and speaking.

Everyone is shocked (and a lot concerned) when Ric Van Holtz – a suave wolf known for his flirtatious ways and snobby cooking skills – takes a sudden and intense interest in the cold-blooded She-wolf that is also known for her knife skills. But as the book moves forward I was surprised by how easily these two wolves fit together, even if they come from two completely different worlds.

I even learned to love Dee-Ann and realized that while she is a cold-blooded killer that enjoys her job, she also has a heart and a need to protect others.

Ric walked over to the desk and yelled, “What I’m trying to say, Dee-Ann, is that you can’t just keep coming in and out of my apartment whenever you like!” Startled, Dee gawked at him, which was when he added with a smile, “Unless you’re naked.”

All-in-all, I had a fun time with the two wolves and hey, we get our first same-species shifter romance in the series! I couldn’t have predicted a more funny, kick-butt romance for the couple and loved getting to know them in Big Bad Beast. :)