The Mane Squeeze - Shelly Laurenston

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

4.5 stars

As y’all are aware, I am on such a paranormal romance binge these days. Even though I have already read The Mane Squeeze once before, I was jumping for joy to finally re-read two of my favorite character book. I luuuurve Gwen and Lock! They are still the most adorable, hottest couple ever and I hope you guys wind up loving them as much as I do once I share some of my favorite quotes from the book.

Gwen is a Tigon

She extended her leg, resting it on a small boulder in front of her and letting out a breath, her eyes shutting. “I know it’s healing, but fuck it hurts.”

“Let me see.” Lock got to his feet, ignoring the aches and pains he felt throughout his body. By the time he made it over to her, she opened her eyes and blinked wide, leaning back.

“Hey, hey! Get that thing out of my face!

His cock was right there, now wasn’t it? He knelt down on one knee in front of her and said, “This is the best I can manage at the moment. I don’t exactly have time to run off and kill an animal for its hide.”

“Fine,” she muttered. “Just watch where you’re swinging that thing. You’re liable to break my nose.”

Gwen is a tigon hybrid – a tiger/lion mx – Though hybrids are treated a lot better than they did twenty years ago, she and her BFF Blayne (wolf/wild dog mix) are still looked at as outsiders in the shifter world. Because of her hybrid nature, Gwen has never been part of the O’Neil pride, even though they treat her and love her like family. She is thankful to finally leave Philly –and the O’Neil pack – behind to help Blayne take over her father’s plumbing business.

Yeah, I know it’s hard to see the two mischievous, energetic hybrids as plumbers, but they are excellent at what they do, excluding all the run-ins with badgers and snakes. Ahem.

Gwen is one of those characters that worms their way into your heart and just takes up residence there. She is such a fun main character, with her stubborn determination not to fall for Lock, the adorable grizzly bear that is so hard to resist, even if he has disturbing habits like coating everything with honey and playing with his toes. Yep, toes.

“This isn’t going to end up on the Internet, right? I’ll be really pissed if this ends up on the Net.”

“Trust me,” he said again. And when Gwen looked at him he was playing with his toes.

With a shrug, Gwen stretched out beside Lock, lifted her legs up, and grabbed her toes.

“You can roll back and forth, too.”

All right then.

“What do you think?”

“This is…uh…kind of…nice actually.”

“I know. I do it anytime I’m really pissed or depressed or bored or…playing.”

“You do it every day, don’t you?”

“Sometimes. There’s no shame in the toe grab. And look! You can cross arms and grab opposite toes.”

“I live on the edge, Gwen.”

Laughing, Gwen dropped her legs and curled into Lock’s side.

“What? What’s so funny?”

I just… I just can’t. hdsgfaflfrgjfd SO MANY FEELS. I really don’t know how Gwen lets him out of the house. I think I would chain him to my bed and keep him there.

Gwen is a doll, but Lock? Lock was the cutest, cuddliest grizzly bear. I had a hard time coming to grips with the fact that Lock is an ex-marine, ex-Unit member (the most dangerous shifter-only group of military trained killers that protect the shifter species away from US soil).

Jess walked up to them and raised her brows at Lock.

“I’m not a dancing bear,” he complained.

“Please?” Jess pushed lightly, giving him a smile that made Gwen want to deck her.

Appearing more embarrassed than Gwen had seen him, Lock looked down at the children – and roared.

The children screamed and took off running, scattering in all directions while Jess clapped and laughed.

“And today’s Lack of Dignity award goes to…” Gwen muttered.

I’m sure you can see why it was difficult to compare the Lock that the Unit almost drove insane to the bear who plays with his toes for fun, eats way too much honey, and almost kills Gwen with his penis.

This book was hilarious, surprisingly smoking hawt, adorable, fun, so many feelings! I love the way Laurenston really tries to make her shifter personalities match their species. There is so much to enjoy in her silly but sexy shifter romances and she always manages to surprise me. I hope you get the chance to read The Mane Squeeze and you love it as much as I did!