50 Ways to Hex Your Lover - Linda Wisdom

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

I always say that three star reads are the ones that make give me the worst book slumps . . . I say this because it's true. I know a lot of you are shaking your heads and thinking, why the hell would a book with a good rating give you a worst slump then, say, a one star read? Or a DNF? I can explain. A three star read is an “okay” book, a book that I liked but didn’t love. It’s a book that is so freaking hard to review because you can’t find anything overly positive or negative to say, so you wind up saying, “It’s a good book. I liked it. You might, too.” Not exactly an exciting book to review, because it wasn’t very exciting to read, either.

With 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover, I had this problem. The funny thing is, I’ve read this one before. I loved it years ago, and now that I read it again, I can see that I’ve grown more critical and chooser as a reader. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it sure did give me a slump.

3 Reasons 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover Didn't Wow Me

I’ve seen it all before. I’ve been reading for over half my life already (a feat since I’m 19. Lol), and obsessing over romance for a few years less, so it can be hard to find authors unique to their genre. I usually don’t have a problem when the writing is excellent enough to keep my attention, but in terms of 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover, it was only ordinary. Nothing new.
It left me feeling incomplete. The odd thing is, it didn’t even end with a cliffhanger! (P.S. I hate cliffhangers.) Wisdom just didn’t give me the closure I needed for some of the conflict she gave the story. FYI: If you write in a conflict, you need a solution. I know a lot of authors just leave it for the sequel, but it feels like she just forgot a few key elements.
I wasn’t enamored with the main characters. I liked Jazz well enough, and Nick is . . . slowly growing on me, but none of them were that interesting. Jazz seemed like this feisty, strong character that wouldn’t allow anybody to walk all over her, but anytime Nick is around her vag makes all the decision and she ends up hurt. WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME? YOU DON’T NEED HIM AND IT’S ANNOYING AS FUCK TO WATCH HIM TREAT YOU TERRIBLY. Wisdom winds up redeeming Nick’s character a bit at the end, but I’m still not happy with him. Perhaps he’ll grow up, in the next book, but I’m not counting on it.
The two things that saved this book for me were the cute, adorable, man-eating slippers, Fluff and Puff (where do I find some? Anybody know?), and the sex is deliciously hot. For all Nick and Jazz’s fault, they make yummy whoopee. ;)

All-in-all not a terribly enthusiastic read, but I’ve picked up the next book in the series in the hopes that it redeems the Hex series for me.