Ten - Gretchen McNeil
Dear Readers,

This book has sat on my TBR list since 2012, and I’ve finally just read it. I honestly don’t know why it takes me so dang long to read popular books, but I regret waiting so long to pick up a copy of this one. The first impression I got from Ten was that it would be a fast-paced read that I would probably enjoy, but I doubted that it would have much to it, kind of like Lois Duncan’s I Know What You Did Last Summer. I was only half right – it is fast paced, but there is much more to it than meets the eye. It figures that a book with such a simplified name would be so complicated.

Ten is a surprisingly complex horror that kept me up long after my bed time. By the time I finished it I found new favorite characters in TJ and Meg, and a new appreciation for four-legged cuddle buddies. This is another read I couldn’t – and wouldn’t – put down for all the tea in china. To say I was blown away by Ten would be an understatement. So much so I’m extremely slightly concerned about McNeil’s ability to create such a methodical psychopath. All of the characters were well-rounded, main characters and secondary characters alike. I was actually sad to see (read?) some of them meet a bloody end. Even the ones that annoyed me when they were living!

Best friends Meg and Minnie have been inseparable since seventh grade. Meg, the introvert of the two, would rather spend the weekend holed up in her room writing than attend a party thrown by people she doesn’t like. Minnie, whom is Meg’s complete opposite in every way that matters, is happiest when she’s the center of attention and a boy hanging off her every word. I love how opposite the two friends are from one another. The only thing they seem to have in common is who they are crushing on: T.J. Every difference in the two was highlighted by how polar opposite they are in personality and morals. It gave the story added dimension and made things even more fascinating.

Another reason I was so stunned by Ten was how seamlessly every piece of the puzzle connected in the end. No minute detail was unimportant to the plot – and somehow tied together brilliantly. Every chapter read gave me more questions, and by the last paragraph of the book none of my questions were left unanswered. There is something to be said for an author who doesn’t have to write two or three or ten books to satisfy a reader and leave no stone unturned. It’s nice to fall in love with a new set of characters without investing years to them. If I could give book "ten" stars, I wouldn’t hesitate to do so!

Terrified silly and loving it,

❁One Curvy Blogger