My Life as a White Trash Zombie - Diana Rowland

THE WRITING

If you’ve been a long-time reader of my blog, you’ve probably I have something of a creepy fascination with all things dead. And by dead I mean undead. And by undead I mean zombies. I'm obsessed with zombies. There, I said it. I’m a loud and proud zombie fanatic! It can take me a bit to pick up a zombie book sometimes, because I’m anal and think I won’t enjoy it and so for some reason it makes sense for me to hold off reading it for as long as physically possible. I know, I know, this screams "needs psychological help."

I’ve known about this particular zombie book since it first came out, but I never really had the urge to purchase it until several of my favorite bloggers read it and raved about it. Why? My idea of the perfect zombie book involves humanity on the brink of extinction and virus spreading mindless monsters with no control of their hunger for living human flesh. This is typically a theme found in horror, not the urban fantasy.

I’ve never tried to read a book about a zombie trying to hold on to its grip on humanity but, as it turns out, out I love these too! Or at least, this one. I can now say I have joined the white trash zombie fandom and cannot wait to read more by Diana Rowland! I had such a connection with My Life as a White Trash Zombie, I had a hard time putting it down. The writing was superb and so down to earth that I really couldn’t find a single fault with it.

THE STORY

The title My Life As a White Trash Zombie pretty much sums up the main conflict in the book: Angel’s struggle to finally rise above her “white trash” background, finally accept herself, and live an (undead) life that she can be proud of. Add a mandatory new diet into the mix, a job at the Coroner’s Office she’s been blackmailed into accepting, and a mysterious serial killer who seems to be collecting heads as trophies … now really, why did I wait so long to read this book?! *facepalm*

When I finally started My Life as a White Trash Zombie I realized this book was MADE FOR ME. The story was a lot more complex than I initially gave it credit for and was completely blindsided by the final plot reveal at the end of the book! There is also a small romance plot to keep the romance junkie in me satisfied. :D

THE CHARACTERS

I was equal parts smitten and heartbroken by Angel’s character. She has had such a rough life … honestly, the new brain diet isn’t even the worst problem she’s ever faced. She has a mean drunk for a father that she lives with and a dead, mentally ill mom that blamed her for breathing. I’m unsurprised she turned to pills to cope and was so happy to see things finally going right for her, even though she runs into plenty of bumps along the way.

❝Sighing, I dropped my head back to the pillow. I hadn’t been in a coma. The nurse wasn’t lying or messing with my head. No, I was simply a loser. ❞

The most heartbreaking of all is Angel’s complete lack of self-esteem. She was such a kick-ass heroine, overcoming so much adversity, it was hard to watch her hate herself, but under the circumstances, I’m not really surprised. If you hear you’re nothing but a “white trash loser” all your life, you start to believe it as truth.

THE END

I loved My Life as a White Trash Zombie. I never expected to feel so much for a book I was sure to be too ridiculous to take seriously, but it was plenty easy when I finally gave it a chance. It drew so many emotions from me – laughter, sadness, pity, pride, curiosity. Honestly, I cannot wait for the chance to read book two. If you’ve seen this book circling book blogs and brushed it off because of the title, seriously, GIVE IT A CHANCE!
This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger