This Is What You Just Put in Your Mouth?: From Eggnog to Beef Jerky, the Surprising Secrets - Di Justo,  Patrick

arc review

bite size review

I cannot begin to tell you guys what supernatural force caused this romance junkie to pick up a non-fiction book on food science. Sure, I love to read weird and interesting news articles that explore what mysterious ingredients are in everyday household items, but I rarely feel the urge to pick up a 200+ book about them. I read books for pleasure, not for information but something about This Is What You Just Put in Your Mouth just called to me. So here I am, composing a review about it.

The good thing about this book is it's loaded with facts. Anything you might (not) want to know about these products are on display and explained in a way that the average joe could understand.

For example, one of the items Di Justo talks about is Hot Pockets Pepperoni Pizza. He'll list the ingredients, such as Unbleached Enriched Flour, then he will go on to explain what "bleached" and "unbleached"  flour really means and what they do to it to make it that way. I like this brutal and uncensored honesty about what is in our food. I'm sure Di Justo didn't make too many friends by writing this book, and he's definitely turned me off some of my favorite junk foods, but I forgive him for being honest with us about the kind of chemicals we keep in our homes or even worse, put in our bodies.

The only gripe I have of this book is that the cover is really flimsy, even more so than the average paperback, which means it probably won't last as long. I've had it for a month, stored in on my very well taken care of TBR shelf and it already has a couple of rips. Those interested in purchasing a copy of This Is What You Put in Your Mouth? should purchase a hardback or ebook copy to save yourself the heartbreak of an easily ripped book.

OCB signature

If you enjoyed this review, I hope you will give it a thumbs up on Amazon! Thanks <3

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger