The Killer Net - Matthew W. Grant

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

What a trippy ride!

I have to admit I didn’t have high expectations for The Killer Net when I finally started the audiobook. I picked it up on a whim when I was searching for a bloody, gory audiobook to read. I expected to enjoy the read, but I never expected it to be so unpredictable and complex. It’s such a short listen, I thought I had the killer figured out by chapter five, but I really couldn’t have predicted such an intricate ending. I have never been so pleased to be proved wrong! This goes to show, I really should stop judging books by their appearance (but let’s be honest, that’s not happening any time soon).

Instead of giving us one clear point of view, Grant gives us multiple – I loved the peeks inside the killer’s head, his victims, and the cops trying to track him down. I was so surprised when I realized how closely interwoven all the characters are, even the ones that don’t meet until the end! They all had a purpose in the book I finally learned why at the end of the book. I couldn’t have enjoyed The Killer Net more! It really was a unique twist to a slasher thriller and it boggles my mind the amount of talent one has to have to be able to piece together such a complex plot line and it make it work in such a short amount of time. *shakes head* I honestly don’t know many bestselling authors who could have pulled it off. Grant is a wizard and I can't wait to read more from him.

The narrator was enthralling.

In my short time listening to audiobooks, I have stumbled upon some awesome, okay, and downright terrible narrators. But Jeannie Lin was magical for The Killer Net. She performed impeccably and clearly distinguished characters (and she had a lot of character’s to portray!) so that it was easy to identify them. For some narrators, it can appear awkward when they have to cross gender boundaries, but it was clear that Lin put in a lot of hard work to give an entertaining and smooth listen for us readers. I found her narration soothing and can’t wait to listen to more of her performances!

All-in-all, I had a fantastic time within the pages of The Killer Net. It was short and sweet and completely satisfactory. If you are a beginner to the world of audiobooks, this thriller is the perfect story and length to try your hand at listening to books. I recommend The Killer Net to all thriller fans!