Bottle Cap - Megan Frazer Blakemore

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

You know those books where the blurb turns out to be more exciting than the book itself? That’s how Very in Pieces turned out for me. I was thrilled to discover the book in my mailbox. It had all the making of a thrilling romance: teenage rebellion, a delicious bad boy, and an intriguing mystery. But once I opened the book I discovered it wasn’t nearly as exciting as I hoped it would be.

5 reasons Very in Pieces wasn’t for me

1. There was a distinct disconnect between the writing and the emotion Blakemore was trying to portray. Very’s beloved Nonnie is slowly dying of cancer. This book is supposed to be an emotional roller coaster. This is one of the few books I had Kleenex on standby that I didn’t actually need! What a letdown.
2. The secondary characters showed more character development than the main characters. I certainly learned more about the secondary characters than I did about Very or Dominic.
3. Very in Pieces moved at a snail’s pace. The ending was a bit more exciting than the rest of the plot, but it was no big deal. I gave serious thought to putting it down halfway in.
4. I didn’t get the romance at all. There was no sizzle at all, and it had a sex scene! It was such a bummer.
5. Despite the awesome blurb, Very in Pieces was a very unremarkable book. It’s such a sad thing to realize, but it just doesn’t stand out among hundreds of other young adult romances. What is truly disappointing, is it had the potential for so much more, but it just fell flat.

Sorry my review wound up being so short. I really just couldn’t find anything I wanted to say about Very in Pieces other than I wish it had gone differently. Have you read anything that left you utterly uninspired to talk about?